About Me

My photo
Like to play sports and workout. Love to go out with my wife. Like to travel everywhere.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Blog Post 9

 I like how he describes his first year of teaching and what to do and what not to do to yourself. You will always need to make sure your students are learning what you are teaching I believe is more important then a perfect lesson plan. Being flexible is something that I learned in the Navy, so talking about it in teaching is great always want to be able to change up your plans without hitting a snag. Being reasonable is something some of my teachers never learned and sometimes had to high of expectations. Technology is something I still learned and will never stop learning about because it helps with all I will do one day. I am trying to always listen to my students because they are the real ones that will be learning from what I’m teaching.
Technology

2 comments:

  1. And you too will be learning from your students-- yet another reason to listen to them! Start thinking of ways that you can listen to them. It is IMPOSSIBLE to listen to all 27 or 150 students that you have. They all have stories that take time to share. Maybe having a class journal that you let them write anything they want to tell you in, or maybe a youtube channel that they could make mini-videos to share with you and the class PUBLICLY... the options are as limitless as your creativity. Let me know what you come up with, especially if you think it would be appropriate for 10 y.o.

    I was excited to read your blog, Dustin, but I have to say that although your commentary is good, you could use a read-over. I have looked at some of your other work and it didn't seem quite as rushed. Just wanted to give you some honest Pausch-style feedback so that you don't make a habit of it.

    Look forward to seeing you in the lab. Keep the good thoughts coming on your reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anthony, this is good commentary. I definitely agree that flexibility is important and you seem like a very flexible person with the time you spent in the Navy. To me, being flexible is so important because that is where a lot of teaching can take place. If we are preoccupied with sticking strictly to our lesson plans, we could miss some valuable learning opportunities for our students! I also like when you said that you will always try and listen to your students. Some of the best teachers that I ever had were the ones that actually took time to listen to their students concerns and problems.

    ReplyDelete